Friday, October 21, 2011

Screw Virginia

Virginia sucks. I'm going to Alabama.
Well you see, I was at a gas station. It was around 11:30 at night, so you can imagine it was pretty dark outside. I was just about to pay for my sandwich when the cashier started staring off in the distance. He asked me if I recognized that gray car in the lot. I told him I didn't. He said that the car has been passing the gas station for the past hour.
Now, I have been quite used to strange things lately, and I saw this as a warning sign. Just as I told the man to leave, there was a crash. The door swung violently and hit a metal shelf full of snacks that fell to the floor. And then I saw the guy in the gray mask from earlier. Surely he was the one with the car.
The first thing he did was go for the cashier. I suppose he didn't want him to call the police, or maybe he wanted to scare me, because the next thing I knew the cashier had several stab wounds in his stomach. By then I was at the end of the store, trying to open a nearby window to escape. But he grabbed me and pulled me back.
Next thing I knew, I was lying on the floor in the middle of the cereal aisle (and let me tell you, waking up to the Lucky Charms mascot is not fun) with a lump on my head. He only came to scare me.
Once I became aware of what happened, I used the store's phone to call the police. I assumed the cashier was dead, but I felt sick with the thought of having to check.
And this is the part I am not proud of.
Right after I called the police, I open the cash register and took out all of the money. I feel really bad about it, but I'm starting to run out, and no money means no gas, which means I'm a sitting duck.
So here I am, on my way to Alabama. By the way, I apologize for not writing anything in a while. Until last night, nothing really happened to me. It was probably the most peaceful few days I've had since this trip started.
And now a message to Opal:
Take care of yourself. It is not your fault that people get hurt, it is his fault. You cannot go around with an uncared-for broken arm, or you're going to get even more hurt. Please don't blame yourself.
-Anne

3 comments: