Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What Happened To Living In A Cave?

I've killed another person.

Granted this time I had a reason, one that I think most people would consider a good reason to kill a person. murderer, murderer, murderer, murderer, murderer, murderer, murderer, murderer, murderer, murderer, murderer. 
The family who rescued me from the well. Their daughter, Alice, was infected. Coincidence, Or..?

She told me that she'd only been living with the family for a short time; that her real parents had died when she was younger and that she'd been living as a foster child.

She told me she had nightmares about Him, not really understanding who He was or what that meant.

I didn't know what to do.

On the one hand I could've left and tried to deal with my own multiplying problems, or on the other hand I could've tried to help her and her family by calmly explaining the situation and enjoy a trip to an insane asylum. where who knows who else would die

I never really got to make that decision.

It was late afternoon if I remember right (don't count on that).

I'd been sort of half asleep, but I remember hearing a baby crying. This family has a small baby. I had watched him a few times while the mother went out, (baby sitting is weird,) so I recognized his cry pretty quickly.

I peaked out into the hall. There was a body lying on the floor. another one.

It was the father. His eyes were open. Why are they always staring?

I ran out to the garage as quickly as I could. Sure enough, there was a small shovel propped up against the wall.

Ran back in, practically smashed my way into the nursery.

There was the mother, bleeding out on the floor. Close your eyes, you aren't alive anymore.

Alice was pressed up against the back wall crouched over the baby. Why is wailing such a familiar noise?

There was a guy in a black mask standing there with a knife. At first I thought it was someone else.

I swung the shovel at him just as he turned to see who had come in.

Not a great swing seeing as how I was doing one handed, but it knocked him down all the same.

Told Alice to get out of the house. She was terrified, but she listened.

The proxy gave me a look from his place on the floor. "What the hell?"

I jammed the shovel into his side, and he winced. He grabbed the shovel and gave me an angry look, but then he stopped.

There was a tense pause where we just stared at each other.

He said something awful. Don't even think I can type it here. Dreamers Lie 


I think I heard myself snap, suddenly I was slamming the shovel down on top of him as hard as I could.

He was terrified. Like he'd seen a ghost.

Blow after blow after blow.

I heard a crunching noise in the background somewhere, and I was barely aware of the fact my arm (which was just broken before this) was shattering into pieces.

It didn't take long for him to die.  But what was it he said to you?

So did I kill a monster? Or am I the monster now? you aren't just human anymore

I left the shovel and ran at back, got the kids in the car, and drove. I think I was the only one who noticed that He was standing outside the house watching us.

If it hadn't been for the kids there I would've...I don't know what I would've done.

Something stupid probably.

There was only one place I could think to bring an infected Kid and a baby (who may or may not be infected now) that wouldn't end in the death of more innocent (or is it ignorant?) people.

I took them to Hope. It's safe so that's good for them.

I'm a bit of an unwelcome guest I suppose, so I should leave soon.

No more getting involved after this. Can't keep doing this.

- Opal I don't even want to know anymore. I'm too afraid to remember.

3 comments:

  1. Hope... interesting. I wonder if the East of Eden folks would be interested.

    xo
    BR

    ReplyDelete
  2. They might be, but I don't really have connections. Besides I'm already here.

    ReplyDelete