Sunday, October 2, 2011

...Where do I even begin?

I'm back...and I'm not totally crazy anymore so there's that to be thankful for.

And I'm in another Burger King if you can believe it. Not the same one mind you.

...And right now I wish...

I don't know what I wish.

Wish I could reverse time? Wish I was someone else?

Forget it. I don't wish anything.

I do however think it's high time I account for all my idiotic decisions, and for all the idiotic crap I've been doing this past week.

And where do we start? That day in the bathroom.

The overall facts of that day are a bit fuzzy, I was throwing up and there was blood and suddenly Mr. Smug Mug shows up.

And he pulled me through the path.

And I saw something in there...or realized something I guess...

...Remember when I said that there were things about my past I wasn't sure about? Like how I got infected and how long I'd actually been infected?

I was right when I said it must've been years, and I can't remember a single one of those years.

Never even realized I'd forgotten. I forgot everything...

I don't remember what my parents names were, or where they were from, or what they looked like, or if they were even still alive. I couldn't remember where I'd gone to school or what I did for the last 18 years of my life before college.

My whole life was missing and I had never noticed. Never even realized, that everything was made out of tiny bits and pieces that were nothing.


He took me through that path and I remembered though...and god...

When I woke up I was in the park, and it was all gone. I knew it had been there, I was trying to find it but there was nothing. It felt so empty.

He was sitting there, with that big fat grin on his face. And I recognized him.

He was Ian. That guy I worked with at the Diner.

"It all starting to come together now?" he asked. "That's good cause I was starting to get bored. Thought you were going to stay a clueless little twerp forever."

I must of looked so stupid. I didn't say anything I just was lying on the ground in shock. My whole...everything had just been pulled out from under me.

I had no idea who I was anymore.

"Why can't I remember?" I asked him. "Where did my life go?"

"I'd ask your friend," he told me. He handed me the damn Hamlet book. "She's alive, and you can see her on the last day of the month. The exact location is written in that book.

The location was the remains of my apartment in Kansas.

"What happens that day?" I asked him.

"You die," he smirked. It was a lie. A big fat dirty lie.

And I fell for it hook, line and sinker...


"No..." I said.

"It's been set in stone," he told me. "Your friend has known for a while now..."

"If I died now then you couldn't kill me then!" I told him. I tried to bite my tongue off. I really did. But he kicked me in the gut, and pried my mouth open.

"Why do you think no one has killed you yet?" he asked me. "You're weak and defenseless and you piss off everyone within several yards. Yet here you are, better of than practically everyone else in your situation."

Played me like a flute he did.

He left, and Anne found me, and I spent the rest of the day rolling in my own paranoia. And then Nemo was attacked.

I thought, "What the hell? I'm dying in 5 days, and Smirky isn't going to let me die before then, so why not try to help?"

So I left.

Taking the Path wasn't my original plan. But I thought...I thought that if I did it myself maybe I could remember something else. Long story short, it didn't work, and you already know how I ended up.

So then this happened.

And while yes Nemo is a horrible person for acting like he was going to shoot me, I wasn't that mad OK? Mad enough to slap him across the face yes, but no not mad enough to storm out of the house to my death.

I left because for the same reason I got out of that car the first time I saw Him.

Because I wanted to know what Aggy was keeping from me. Because I wanted to have all the memories I'd lost back. Because all of a sudden, everything felt hopeless and the walls were screaming at me 24/7 and I just wanted it to stop.

Because I thought that maybe Ian (if that's even his name) was counting on the fact that I'm a gutless pacifist, and I wouldn't pull that gun on him despite all my threats. Because I had a crazy plan to take him out and save Aggy.

Because I was doing exactly what a good little pawn should.

My apartment was empty when I got there. No more burnt furniture, no more scorch marks, or dead cat nailed to the wall. It was empty and waiting for a new occupant.

Ian was also there waiting.

"So you decided to show," he smirked.

"Where is Aggy?" I asked him.

"She'll be here soon," he said.

That's when I pulled the gun.

"I warned you," I told him.

He just laughed at me.

"Oh Opal Jones..." he said. "You are always so fun to toy with. You don't even realize."

I wasn't going to hear him out. I started to pull the trigger.

And then he was behind me, his arm around my neck. The gun knocked out of my hand.

"It's so funny how you keep thinking you have any say in how this turns out."

I think it's kind of funny too. For different reasons though, of course.


He turned me around so we were face to face.

"And it's funny how you keep trying to convince yourself that you can in fact keep living after this."

I spat in his eye, and found myself getting smacked across the face.

"Silly little Opal Jones..." he sighed wiping his face off. "Why is you runners never have a sense of class huh? It's always yelling and fighting with you, you never want to listen to a word His followers have to say."

"Well then say it!" I snapped. "I'm all ears..."

"No," he sighed. "No the dramatic tone is all gone. I'll have to wait for a more opportune moment." He shoved me into the ground and pulled me up by my hair.

"Just kill me then..." I told him.

"It's not even September 30th yet," he pouted. "We still have five minutes and Agatha isn't even here ye-"

And a baseball bat collided with his head, knocking him to ground.

"What was that you were saying?"

Aggy was standing in the doorway.

She hit him with the bat five or six more times. There was blood everywhere.

"Little whore..." he said.

She hit him again. "I've about had my fill of you, you bastard," she muttered.

Hit him again.

He was smiling the whole time.

"Only a minute til the last day of the month," he said, when she was coming up for another blow.

I was on the ground watching in shock as this happened. Just like a good little pawn.

"To bad you won't get to see it." Aggy brought the bat up for a final blow.

He opened the path.

And I remembered something I don't remember now.

And I shot Aggy.

Midnight on the dot.

I didn't see what happened to Ian. I'm assuming he escaped.

I just dropped the gun, and tried to catch Aggy before she fell.

"Aggy? Aggy?"

I don't need to say the rest do I?

She died with her eyes open. She was staring at me.

All this time, he wanted me to kill her. And I fell right into his hands.

I tried to bury her, but I didn't have the shovel. It was at the House.

I pulled her through the path and made it back.

Nemo was the one who found me out in the yard digging up a grave like a mad woman.

He knocked me out and took me back inside. I don't know what happened to Aggy's body.

When I woke up, this happened.

...Tried to kill August. Spencer cracked my head open and let me bleed out in his secret wing.

Can barely remember what happened.

He wasn't himself though.

Should've died. No I should've been gutted alive. Probably wouldn't even have complained.

He told me to leave, said I was never welcome back to the House.

Doc carried me to the basement and stitched me up, (I probably scared her half to death with all the crap that I must have been saying. I need to learn to shut up.)

 And in the morning I hitched a ride with Nemo to the outskirts of Vermont, (Tied up...)

...So here I am again.


Don't know where to go now. Can't go find Anne, can't stay here.

...I killed Aggy. I killed one of my only friends and I don't know why.

Tried to kill August. August...

What kind of person am I?

 That's right I don't know anymore.

...dammit.

...The walls aren't talking anymore.

9 comments:

  1. couldve tossed you in that river spared us all the whining

    ReplyDelete
  2. .. .did you know that rabid dogs tend to be friendly? The rabies virus makes them overconfident and they lose their fear of people. It's only when they bite that you realize something /needs to be done/...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you wanted to take care of me, I told you, you just should've done it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Aggy needed to be shot... If you remembered something then, that you don't now, maybe she deserved it. Why would you shoot your friend otherwise? Hmmm?

    I could help you get your memories back, maybe.

    We could help you remember EVERYTHING and lose the self you've come to hate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd sooner let a team of drunk foot ball players knock around in my head.

    Whatever I remembered doesn't matter. Aggy shouldn't have died.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What? I'm very good at my job and nothing like team of drunk football players.

    Everyone dies. Look around the next ten to twenty-five years, if you live, and you may run into her again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Word of advice my young friend.

    Wait a week in respect for the dead before you start asking for things. It does you better in the long run.

    Of course you might as well just come pour salt in the wounds right away since the answer is and always will be no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't asking for anything, Ophelia. I was offering.

    And salt has it's uses.

    ReplyDelete