Saturday, September 24, 2011

We Really Need a Break

Opal needs one more than I do, so I really shouldn't be complaining.
A lot has happened lately. It's hard to sum up, so I'll just tell you.
The day started off normally. We were eating breakfast, and Opal suggested we go to the library. I was originally against it, since Opal has been doing nothing but research, but I agreed since our car was getting pretty claustrophobic. The trash we accumulated was starting to pay rent. On the way to the library, Opal spotted the guy in the red mask again. But Opal figured he wouldn't follow us in a public library.
Once we got inside, Opal ran off like a little kid in the candy store.
"We better look in the mythology and psychology sections. Oh, and if you see anything about a fourth dimension or Australia, pick it up."
I raised my eyebrows at her eccentric combination, but did as she said.
Doing this felt weird. It felt as though we were back in college, on one of our study dates the day before exams. And then I remembered where we were, and what we were doing. Never again will I complain about something silly such as exams. It will be a luxury to have such a thing.
Then near noonish I think, things started to go downhill.
Opal started coughing uncontrollably. I asked if she needed some cough syrup, but she insisted she was fine.
"We're going to run out if I keep taking it," she said. "But you aren't feeling well, either, are you?"
She was right. I've been getting headaches from time to time, which makes it really hard to think. At first I thought they were my usual headaches I get from stress (and I have a right to be stressed) but these are different. They come and go very quickly, and are sometimes accompanied with loss of vision (it only lasts a few seconds).
We were talking, and suddenly Opal said she felt sick. She ran to the bathroom, promising it will only be a second.
I waited a few minutes, until a few turned into thirty. When I walked in the bathroom to check on her, Opal was gone. There was a pool of blood all over the sink.
I almost started to get sick myself.
"Opal?" No response.
I ran out as quickly as possible, grabbing Opal's notes on the way to the car. As soon as I got in and locked the door, my phone rang. The caller ID said it was Opal. But the person on the other line was not Opal.
"He dropped her off at a nearby park," said the voice. It's masculine tone contrasted Opal's high, feminine one.
"Who is this?" I asked. My hand was shaking.
"Not anyone concerned with your well-being," the man replied smoothly.
"You're the guy in the red mask," I said. "You've been following us."
"Well, aren't you smart? Should I give you a gold star?" the man sneered.
"Is she okay?" I demanded.
"She's been better," replied the man.
"You better be gone by the time I get there," I threatened.
The man laughed and hung up.
It was easy to find her. She was doubled over a tree, with a book in her hand.
I asked what happened, and she told me that she just threw up and passed out. And when I asked her about the book, she mumbled something about Hamlet and Elmer Fudd.
"Let's go," I said.
"...I don't feel right" Opal said.
"What do you mean?"
"Ever since this coughing started I've been feeling really off. It's not that I'm sick or anything. It just feels wrong."
"He isn't getting to your head, is he?"
Opal insisted that he isn't.
Things have settled down now. Opal's staring out the window. I told her that she should probably not get on the computer tonight. I want her to get her mind off of this for a little while. If that's even possible.
But I suppose that's all for now. I have informed you what you need to know.

Until the next time.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like migraines Anne. If you can get some, buy a small bottle of peppermint oil. It should help relieve some of the pain and also give you a bit more mental clarity. It helps tension headaches too. I use it ALL the time.

    What was the book? It might be important. Was it a library book or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peppermint tea is a good substitute for the peppermint oil in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the oil on my temples and the back of my neck like an icy-hot. The smell is good for any nausea from the headache and helps loosen clenched muscles which are caused by and contribute to the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really curious about the book too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mystery. I'll try that.
    The book was Hamlet, but it wasn't from the library. I don't know where she got it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should definitely check it for hidden messages then. It wouldn't be the first time a proxy hid something in a book.

    ReplyDelete